April, 2021 Shift Art Photoshop Challenge!
Theme: Create A New Zodiac Sign!
You don’t need to believe in astrology for this one! Just imagine if you were chosen to come up with a new zodiac. What would the symbolism be? What would the constellation look like? How would you tell the world about your new sign? Unleash your imagination and reach for the stars!
Please note we are bending the rules a bit for this challenge. Instead of just having a model as the main subject, you may use a model, animal, or object as the main subject but it MUST be from the provided images. Check the actual rules for all criteria for entries.
I will also occasionally be adding a tip here, to help push your thinking and creativity!
Bethany’s Pro Tip:
You can create stars right in Photoshop! Choose the Polygon tool (nested under the Rectangle shape tool), then up in the toolbar under the gear symbol, tick the “Star” box. Change the number of points, choose your fill and stroke colors, then have fun adding outer glows, blurs, blend modes, etc. Use the brush or line tool to connect stars to make constellations. For an even quicker hack, choose the Custom Shape Tool (also under the Rectangle), and pick the default Starburst. Modify as above.
The winner of this challenge will receive the membership of CJM CLUB. Take your Photoshop knowledge to next level with CJM Club Membership.
Top Runners Up Prize:
A Lightroom Presets Pack of Choice
First Runners up will receive a Lightroom Preset pack of choice from PSD Stack. The Lightroom presets are created by Bunty Pundir, a top Shift Art instructor and contributor. Bunty is also the creator of PSD Stack.
2nd Runners Up Prize:
Second runners up will receive a Texture collection pack of choice from CJM Texture Collection.
Images Provided by Shift Art Shop for this Challenge:
Below you will find the rules as well as the images to be used in your composition. Entries will be judged by Caroline Julia Moore, Bethany Perron, and Andrei Tallent.
- All entrants must be Shift Art members. Join for free here.
- Entries must be received by midnight on April 15, 2021 U.S. Pacific Time (UTC-8).
- You must use a minimum of three Pixabay images provided in the download packet.
- You must use a minimum of one of the textures provided by the Shift Art Shop.
- The main subject must be an object, animal, or person from the provided images. Note: this is the most frequently overlooked rule – please follow it to enter the challenge.
- Previous challenge winners are welcome to participate in all challenges.
- Entries featuring violence, hate, pornography or any other content deemed inappropriate by the judged will be disqualified. The decision to disqualify an entry is entirely at the judges’ discretion and is not negotiable.
- You may use any of your own assets/images as long as they are under public domain, or if you have full commercial rights to them. This includes textures and overlays. See our article on finding images for ideas of where to find images.
- Only one entry per member, per challenge.
- Upload your entry image as a JPG with a width of 1200px on the longest side. Images with smaller dimensions will not be accepted. Maximum file size is 50Mb.
- SPECIAL RULE: When posting your entries on social media, please tag: #ShiftArtChallenge
All images on this page, and in the challenge assets for this challenge, were provided by Shift Art Shop, or found on Pixabay.
This challenge is open.
You must be logged in to download the assets and participate in the challenge.
Pixabay images included as assets for this challenge:
Check out the images below for your creative piece!